What happens at this age?
- They’re able to identify with real people on TV or in film, such as actors, athletes, musicians or other famous media personalities.
- They have trouble making their own decisions and forming an independent opinion about what they believe to be ‘normal’.
- They don’t always listen to their parents.
- Great interest in dangerous behaviour, especially when their peers act as if that type of behaviour is ‘normal’.
- They use film and television to learn social lessons.
What type of content can be harmful?
- Productions featuring influential people that behave dangerously, ‘abnormally’ or anti-socially.
- Productions that depict sex as well as the use of alcohol and drugs, without showing that a combination of those can be harmful. This risks teenagers viewing the combination as ‘normal’ and expecting others to view it as ‘normal’, too.
Productions with a 14 years rating
After We Collided
After We Fell
The United States vs. Billie Holiday
Images: After We Fell (Independent Films), screenshot Desperados (Netflix)