When can I file a complaint?
You can file a complaint if, for example:
- the age rating of a film is too high or low
- a television series depicts a different age rating than the Kijkwijzer website
- a film or show is broadcast too early (read about broadcast times)
- a violent or scary preview is shown in cinemas before a children's film
Are there any complaints that Kijkwijzer doesn't handle?
Complaints about suitability, quality, subject matter or good taste will not be processed, nor is it possible to contact Kijkwijzer about legislation, such as age restrictions in cinemas. For these types of complaints, we kindly suggest that you contact the government, the creator of the product in question or the distributor of the product in question.
Kijkwijzer ratings inform parents about the harmful elements that a production contains. The ratings do not tell you whether something is suitable or good. For that, parents' preferences and standards are simply too diverse. For example: a serious documentary can be rated all ages if it contains no images that could be harmful to children. However, the documentary may still be unsuitable for young children because it discusses a complex theme or concerns an adult subject.
The complaints procedure
- Using a questionnaire developed by Kijkwijzer, broadcasters and distributors rate their own productions. These organisations must adhere to certain rules.
- Anyone who has identified a possible breach of Kijkwijzer's rules can file a complaint with Kijkwijzer/NICAM.
- A complaint must be filed within two weeks after identifying the breach by filling out the complaints form and providing sufficient arguments.
- If the rules indeed appear to have been breached, the complaint may be handled by an independent Complaints Committee. There are no costs involved.
- Complaints about suitability, quality, subject matter or good taste will not be processed. For these types of complaints, we kindly suggest that you contact the creator or distributor of the product in question.
Click here to download Kijkwijzer's complaints procedure.
Not everything can be shown on TV during the day, and previews in cinemas have to adhere to certain rules as well. Want to know all about the rules that apply to audiovisual products?Learn about the rules