What happens at this age?
- Finding out who you are and exploring boundaries.
- A need for excitement and sensation.
- The influence of peers is at its greatest.
- Dangerous, criminal behaviour is attractive because the consequences don’t seem all that significant. People expect less from teens than from adults and therefore, they feel that they don’t have as much to lose.
What type of content can be harmful?
- Shows or films with ‘heroes’ that show harmful behaviour. Research shows that especially boys at this age identify with criminal ‘heroes’ on television or in films.
- Intense violence and horror films, especially when teens are not yet sure of their boundaries.
- Shows or films about sex and (budding) relationships. Because teens don’t have much experience with this, certain series and films can give them the wrong idea about what’s normal with regards to sex, and how you should act towards others. These types of depictions can negatively influence teenagers if they think those images are ‘realistic’ or if there’s no adult that’s watching along.
Productions with a 16 years rating
Stranger Things: Season 1
Serie (ook soap) (2016)
John Wick 3: Parabellum
Sex/Life: Season 1
Mocro Maffia - Seizoen 1
Images: Header Mad Max: Fury Road (Warner Bros.), screenshot Scream (Universal Pictures)